Skin care for men is growing in popularity among ethnic men as well. Ethnic men spend $88 million on skincare products. There is no sign of this trend slowing down.
One main difference between skin care for men and women is ease of use. While women may be willing to go through several steps in their beauty regimen, men like their regimen to be quick and easy. One, two, three and they’re out the door.
Basic Skin Care
The myth of beauty being women’s sole purview is (mercifully) being shattered in most avenues. Now, men, too have started realising the importance of looking and feeling good and are taking pro-active steps in that direction. Men have stopped treating hair dressing salons as mere barber shops. Being exposed to the vagaries of nature has made them realise that they too must care for hands, hair, feet and skin. Here are a few hints that most men can do with, after all they rekindle the pep after a hard day at work!
• Dab some astringent on a cotton swab and cleanse skin with this, cleansing milk does fine for dry skin.
• Use face scrub at least once a week to dislodge dead skin and open closed pores. The face scrub also removes tan.
• Splash cold water on face after shaving as this will seal opened pores and prevent pollutants from entering skin.
• Dip a towel in boiling water, squeeze out the water and steam face with this, not only will it remove the stress but also open pores and help in cleaning the face by removing oil and dirt. Adding a few drops of essential oil to the water will make it all the more refreshing.
To keep the control of your oily T-Zone area we recommend using Decleor Keep Control /Anti-Shine Gel for Men It absorbs excess sebum and thoroughly purifies and cleanses the skin.
HEALTHY SKIN MUST DOS
Now you have heard enough `sermons' on skin care but here is some real stuff that is bound to prove beyond doubt that a skin care regime is not merely a skin deep clean, exfoliate, moisturize routine.
A few tips (besides the obvious) for healthy looking robust skin:
• Besides sheathing the body with a protective cover, the skin regulates body temperature is involved in making vitamin D and contains some important glands and nerve ends, including sweat glands, oil-secreting glands, hair, nerves and blood vessels.
• Use a mild soap and water to clean skin surface. Using loofahs and facecloths should be limited to the minimum as rubbing hard may damage the skin.
• Moisturizing is an equally important part and must not be neglected. One of the best moisturizing lotion available is PROTECT Moisturizer w/SPF It contains Alpha-hydroxy acids to exfoliate dead skin cells and its moisture attractants work overtime to keep your skin strong. SPF 8 Protection also.
• Drink at least 2 litres of water throughout the day. This will flush out the toxins and keep the skin cool.
• Vitamin C, E, B and zinc are important components of a healthy skin. Make sure that you include these in your daily diet.
• Excessive alcohol and nicotine is damaging to the skin, if you are addicted to these, limit their use to the minimum.
• Use a protective sun block before stepping out in the sun.
KICK THE SOAP—NOW!
The soap’s the rogue! Though those flashy commercials make you believe that there is nothing better than a good soap to beautify your skin and freshen you up, startlingly it’s the converse that’s true!
• Soaps are responsible for leaving your skin very dry. They wipe off all traces of oil from your skin.
• If you have a dry skin you probably know about the adverse effects.
• Does that mean people with oily skins can lather up to their heart’s content? Wrong! The deficiency in the oils in your skin only stimulates the gland to produce more oil making your skin more oily - and could lead to acne.
• So how do we beat the soap and still freshen up our skin?
• Face washes seem to be an ideal substitute to soaps. The oil control or non-drying ones are a good option to use.
SKIN DEEP MACHISMO
If you are concerned about grooming, then you must know that apart from hair, clothes, smelling good, etc. your skin too needs attention. And this is not only if you have blackheads and pimples.
Here’s a regular skin care regimen that you should follow:
• Follow the wash, scrub, tone, moisturize routine for squeaky clean skin.
• Face washes are a better option over soap, which tend to dry the skin.
• Scrubbing the face with a good face scrub helps dislodge dead skin cells and stubborn dirt.
• Toning the skin lends it a healthy glow and moisturizing is a must do for soft, plump skin.
• Incidentally it’s not a bad idea to go in for a facial once a fortnight. Most men saloons offer facials that are good for the skin and are a great way to relax too!